PhD of Program in Computer Science
The college has five scientific departments offering Bachelor of Science degrees: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Software Engineering and Information Technology for females' students. Besides, the college offers three Master of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Information Systems. Today the number of graduates from the Master programs are over 153 students. The college has 64 academic staff, most of whom provide many professional and consulting services of diverse computer technology areas for various governmental, public and private sectors. In recent decades, the world witness tremendous developments in information technology, computer science, and information and knowledge systems. The reliability aspects of contemporary life and quality of life on many of these technologies has led to the increasing demands for specialized cadre that combines high expertise in computer science computer engineering, and information systems, to work in research and development centres at universities, research centres such as King Abdul Aziz City for Science and Technology, etc. In addition, there is an increasing demand for computer graduates, males and females, to work as academic staff in the expanding computer departments in new public and private universities. Furthermore, it became scientifically important to raise the scientific and technology level of Saudi leadership and decision-makers in the information technology fields. This can be achieved through university graduate programs. The Kingdom's Information Technology National Plan shows that there is a fast-growing demand in the next decade for cadre in advanced scientific and professional areas of computers and communication technologies. The study proposed a number of recommendations to address the high shortage level of specialized cadres in information technology. The most important of which is to increase the recourses of the information technology departments, the expansion in postgraduate programs to qualify Saudi teaching staff and academic faculty. Another important recommendation is to facilitate the attraction of distinguished scholars and scientists in information technology in order to transfer of expertise and learning from international experiences. From these standpoints, a graduate joint PhD program between 3 departments of the college is proposed herewith to contribute to provide graduate studies and advanced research in the fields of computer science, computer engineering and information systems. This will contribute in creating qualified researchers and faculty members in the area of computer and information sciences.
1. To promote advanced research and scientific publication and to contribute to the future scientific and technical world advancement in computer science and engineering, and information technology.
2. To prepare highly specialized scholars, professionals and Saudis research personnel, manpower and expertise that meet the Saudi society development needs, and jobs demand; and support the successful transfer of advanced information technologies in industry, academic and scientific sectors.
3. . To create solutions for the persistent IT problems in the public and governmental institutions through a higher level of applied research and IT technology transfer.
4. To provide graduate students and Saudis researchers with skills, means, methodology, innovation and scientific approaches necessary for distinguished professionals in IT sectors.
PhD in Computer and Information Sciences (Track name).
The program includes the flowing three tracks:
1. Computer science.
2. Computer Engineering.
3. Information Systems.
The specialized department council handles all academic affairs related to the track.
1. The admission requirements enumerated in the unified bilaws organizing the graduate studies in Saudi universities.
2. Having a Master degree (M. Sc.) in computer science, computer engineering, information systems, information technology, software engineering, or an equivalent field approved by the program council.
3. Applicants should demonstrate English proficiency by achieving a score of 500 or above in TOEFL or equivalent.
4. The applicant should achieve a score of at least 600 in GRE (Quantitative) exam.
5. Fulfill track admission requirements and passing a written admission exam, in addition to an interview to be announced by the program council.
1. Successful completion of 25 credit hours of graduate courses in the PhD program as follows:
a. 3 credit hours of program general courses or university graduate courses as approved by the supervisor.
b. 6 credit hours outside student's track from the common courses offered by other tracks of the program.
c. 7 credit hours of compulsory courses in student's track.
d. 9 credit hours of elective courses in student's track.
No more than two courses from the Master Program level are counted for the course requirements in the PhD program.
2. To pass a comprehensive exam in his speciality or other subspecialties decided by the program council and according to the general rules for the comprehensive exam as issued by the deanship of graduate studies.
3. Completion and successful defence of an original thesis.
4. To publish or obtain an acceptance for at least one publication in a specialized referred venue according to student's track.