The department of Computer Science (CSC) was established in 1984 with a Bsc. program intended to prepare highly competent creative workforce in the field of Computer Science. The Master of Science in Computer Science program was established in 1990 to prepare graduates able to effectively contribute in the domiciliation and development of computing and IT technologies. Later in 2005, the CSC department established a Ph.D. in Computer Science program to meet its research objectives and fulfill the growing need for creative minds for the forthcoming knowledge society. The programs offered by the Computer Science department satisfy the ACM/IEEE recommendations for Computer Science curriculum (http://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf) and take into account the community needs. Currently, 65 Male and Female students are enrolled in the Msc. of Science in Computer Science program, and 104 Male and Female students are enrolled in the Ph.D. in Computer Science program.
The CSC department is privileged to have competent academic staff who earned their PhD degrees from internationally recognized universities. The faculty members are active researchers in a variety of Computer Science fields such as Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Pattern Recognition, Networks, Security, Distributed Systems etc... Besides, they are actively involved in teaching and administration of the department activities.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is an area of Computer Science that aims to develop computer systems able to simulate human intelligence and autonomously perform tasks originally restricted to humans. Nowadays, AI is perceived as a productivity stimulator and economic growth engine. In particular, it has drastically improved the decision making processes by exploiting the exponentially increasing amount of data. In addition, it has promoted novel services and products, industries and markets through offering new revenue streams and boosting consumer demand. Typically, the design of cutting edge Intelligent solutions relies on data science to effectively exploit existing data and transform it into relevant knowledge. In fact, Data Science can be defined as a computer science field which aims to mine meaningful insights and knowledge from large amount of data. Specifically, it leans on machine learning techniques to extract relevant hidden patterns and/or information from any data modality.
Significance and Justifications of Program Creation
- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia witnesses the most enthusiastic economic shift and reform program in its rich history. Artificial intelligence (AI) is a key enabler of a wide and diverse range of initiatives being deployed to attain the objectives of KSA Vision 2030.
- A Master of science in Artificial Intelligence would reinforce the contribution of King Saud University to the achievement of KSA Vision 2030.
- Specifically, it would support King Saud University mission in providing distinctive education, producing creative research and participating in building the knowledge economy and community.
- Moreover, it will provide the national and international IT market with Artificial Intelligence professionals ready to take research and development jobs or managerial positions as well as entrepreneurship opportunities.
- The results of the job market survey (program beneficiaries) showed that the proposed program would fulfill the needs in qualified manpower. Moreover, the findings of this survey proved that the program meets the future aspirations of the relevant job market sector. Moreover, the employers have found the curriculum of the proposed program in line with their strategic visions.
- Program's Vision
National, regional and global leadership and excellence in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
- Program's Mission
Preparing highly qualified specialists in Artificial Intelligence as contribution to the edification of the knowledge economy and to the achievement of the objective set by KSA vision through fostering an academic environment ideal for knowledge development, research, and innovation in the fields of Artificial Intelligence.
- Program's Objectives
- Preparing students to work as Artificial Intelligence specialist in Saudi Arabia and abroad.
- . Preparing highly qualified students ready to pursue further graduate studies in relevant fields.
- . Promoting AI industry by preparing knowledgeable and highly skilled researchers.
- . Bridging the gap between the department and Artificial Intelligence industrial and technological environment.
- The applicant should have a bachelor’s degree in computer science obtained with a (regular) mode of study from King Saud University or other universities recommended by the Saudi Ministry of Education, with a grade of no less than (Very Good) with a cumulative GPA of no less than (3.75 out of 5) or its equivalent.
- It is permissible to accept non-specialists in computer science from computer engineering, information systems, software engineering, information technology, non-educational computing, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics and Operations Research disciplines, from King Saud University or other universities recommended by the Saudi Ministry of Education, obtained with a (regular) mode of study, with a grade of no less than (Very Good) and a cumulative GPA of no less than (3.75 out of 5) or its equivalent.
- Studying a bachelor’s degree through (affiliation) mode is not accepted, nor any of the educational or management computing specializations, nor specializations of information studies, libraries, or management information systems
- The applicant must have a score of no less than (53) in the TOEFL-IBT test or its equivalent.
- The applicant must obtain a minimum score of (70) in the quantitative part of the Qudurat test or (144) in the quantitative part of the GRE test.